There are many reasons why people from all over the world want to visit Beijing Forbidden City—the largest Palace Complex in the world that houses a lot of traditional valuable artworks. The collections include paintings, http://220.127.116.11 calligraphy, timepieces, ancient books, historical documents, ceramics, bronzes, and jade pieces. Architects, architecture students, and art lovers will love to see its carpentry, roof decoration, materials, building, and complex designs, and its colors.
In 1406, Emperor Yong Le from Ming Dynasty ordered his people to construct a palace complex. The construction lasted in 1420. From 1420 to 1644, there were 14 emperors of the Ming Dynasty to live in this palace. In October 1644, Forbidden City was used as the palace of the emperor from Qing Dynasty. During the second Opium War, the palace was occupied by the Anglo-French Forces until the end of the war. After Pu Yi—China’s last emperor, abdicated in 1912, the palace complex couldn’t be used as the home to the emperors anymore. The Forbidden City became the Palace Museum in 1925 and it was only in 1987 that UNESCO considered this palace as the World Heritage Site.
The Palace Complex consists of three parts: the Inner Court, the Outer Court, and Defenses. See more explanation below.
- The Inner Court consists of three main structures. The first is the Heavenly Purity Palace for the emperor to sleep. The second one is the Union and Peace Palace for storing the imperial seals. The last one is the Terrestrial Tranquility Hall for the emperors to hold their wedding parties.
- The Outer Court consists of three main buildings. The first one is the Supreme Harmony Hall where the emperor’s Dragon Throne was located. The second one is the Central Harmony Hall where the emperors rehearsed their speeches and presentation before going to the Temple of Heaven for doing the sacrifices. The third one is Preserving Harmony Hall that was used for imperial examinations and banquets.
- The Defenses includes the fifty-two-meter-deep moat used as the defense-first line, a ten-meter-high defensive wall with a big watchtower on its corner, four gates called the Meridian Gate on the south, the Glorious Gate on the east, the Glorious Gate on the west, and the Divine Might Gate on the north.
The Palace Museum houses more than a million valuable and rare artworks and exhibited in five different galleries.
- The Clock Gallery
- The Paintings and Calligraphy Gallery
- The Treasures Gallery
- The Bronze-ware Gallery
- The Porcelain and Ceramic Gallery
What do you think? Don’t you think it is great to visit this palace complex? Hopefully, the article sharing the information of Beijing Forbidden City does give you enough information.